Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Unknown modifier 't' in /home/content/16/9506716/html/wp-content/plugins/mobile-website-builder-for-wordpress-by-dudamobile/dudamobile.php on line 603
2011 October 21 | Activist News
Disobey

The Road to World War 3

  More »

Edward Snowden

Open Letter To Obama

July 26, 2013 President Barack Obama The White House 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20500 Re: Civil Disobedience, Edward J. Snowden, and the Constitution Dear Mr. President: You are acutely aware More »

greed3

U.S. Companies Pay Just One-Third Of The Legal Tax Rate: GAO Study

Huffington Post July 1, 2013 By Mark Gongloff Big, profitable U.S. companies paid an average federal tax rate of less than 13 percent in 2010, according to a new study — or More »

jeff olsen

Man Tried for Chalk Drawings Found Not Guilty

NBC San Diego July 1, 2013 By Christina London The man accused of vandalism for drawing with chalk outside banks has been found not guilty on all charges. A jury returned its More »

freedom-of-the-press

The Bigger Story Behind the AP Spying Scandal

Washington’s Blog/Global Research May 20, 2012 By George Washington Attack on the Press You know that the Department of Justice tapped scores of phone lines at the Associated Press. You might have More »

Daily Archives: October 21, 2011

‘Occupy’ protesters find allies in ranks of the wealthy

MSNBC
Oct. 21, 2011
By

The “Occupy Wall Street” protesters — also known as the “99 percent” — have struck a chord with at least a few members of an unexpected audience: America’s rich and privileged.

United under the banner “We are the 1 percent: We stand with the 99 percent,” a band of entrepreneurs, trust fund babies, professionals and inheritors has taken to the web to share their abhorrence of corporate greed and support for tax code changes that would see them pay a higher share of their considerable wealth.

Among other things, they’re posting their stories on a Tumblr page created by Wealth for the Common Good and Resource Generation, two groups dedicated to working for “fair taxation and just wealth distribution.”


Some are probably not actually in the top 1 percent wealthwise — calculated at earning a yearly salary of more than $506,000, according toThe Wall Street Journal— but all are certainly well off and supportive of reforms that would narrow the widening gap between America’s elite and poorest citizens.

Msnbc.com contacted some of the posters and others affiliated with the website’s creators to hear what they had to say.Here, in their own words, is what they told us:

Farhad A. Ebrahimi, 33, who shares his inherited wealth through a charity that he founded, says he attends the Occupy Boston protest every day. He has donated tents, helped with organizing, raised funds and written for the protesters’ blog. He said that his inheritance put him squarely in the top 1 percent, plus he makes enough on investment income every year to be in the highest tax bracket. But he lives what he calls a “Spartan” life compared to other members of his family.

At the protest, he often wears a homemade T-shirt that reads: “I’m a member of the 1 percent and I fully support the 99 percent” on the front, and, “Tax me, I’m good for it,” on the back.

Met facing mounting crisis as activist spying operation unravels

Guardian
Oct. 20, 2011
By and

It was shortly after 10am, in a corner at a primary school near Nottingham, that a police agent using the codename UCO 133 began whispering into a microphone hidden in his watch.

Mark Kennedy was a long-haired, tattoo-covered undercover police officer who had been living for six years as an environmental activist. But the covert agent with a long-term activist girlfriend was about to set in train a chain of events that would result in one of the most intriguing scandals in policing history.

“I’m an authorised police officer engaged in Operation Pegasus,” Kennedy hissed into his £7,000 Casio G-Shock watch, equipped with a hidden microchip. “This weekend, Easter weekend, I am together with a group of activists that are planning to disrupt Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station. Shortly gonna go … and record briefings that subsequently take place throughout the day. So I shall now switch this device off.”


He snatched a look at his wrist and read out the time. At that point – 10.06am on 12 April 2009 – one of the British constabulary’s most closely guarded secrets remained intact; Kennedy, perhaps the most successful in a fleet of agents sent to live deep undercover among political activists, had maintained his cover.

More importantly, virtually nothing was known about the secretive police units which, for four decades, had been surreptitiously disrupting the activities of political campaign groups.

But now a series of revelations concerning a network of undercover agents has become a growing crisis for police.

At the centre of the latest controversy is a set of documents, obtained by the Guardian and the BBC’s Newsnight, indicating that another police spy, Jim Boyling, who lived undercover among the environmental group Reclaim the Streets, concealed his identity in a criminal trial, giving false evidence under oath about his real name.

The accusation that police deliberately subverted the judicial process, and at worst sanctioned perjury, prompted outrage among lawyers and parts of the judiciary and led to the last-minute postponement of a major report into undercover policing of protests by the newly appointed commissioner of the Metropolitan police, Bernard Hogan-Howe.

Now questions are being asked about the judgment of Britain’s most senior police officer, whose report – conducted in his prior role with the policing inspectorate – is being reviewed. Lord Macdonald, the former director of public prosecutions, described the court deception as a monumental misjudgment, saying police had “crossed the line”. There are mounting calls for a full public inquiry.

The truth behind the police spies began to unravel late last year when activist former friends of Kennedy revealed his police background on the website Indymedia.

Full Article Here – http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/oct/20/met-crisis-activist-spying-operation

Occupy protesters still there as park quiets

Cincinnati.com
Oct. 21, 2011
By Dan Horn, Jane Prendergast and Janice Morse

Tension between city officials and Occupy Cincinnati protesters appeared to be coming to a head Thursday, as officials warned protesters to vacate Piatt Park – and protest organizers warned fellow demonstrators that arrests could be imminent.

But as of midnight Thursday there were no arrests or citations and there was no police presence at the park.

Earlier in the day, three City Council members signed a motion, urging that “effective immediately, the administration begin enforcing the law with regard to the city’s parks.”


The motion and other statements indicated a harder-line stance toward the demonstrators who began “occupying” the park on Oct. 9 to protest economic, social and political issues as an outgrowth of the Occupy Wall Street movement.

On Thursday evening, about 100 people had gathered for the nightly 6 p.m. meeting.

After a brief orientation about hand signals, Josh Spring, executive director of the Greater Cincinnati Coalition for the Homeless, who was moderating the discussion, asked attendees to gather together so they could hear what he was saying – and to brace themselves against a cold, biting wind.

Police have been handing out tickets, rather than arresting those who refused to leave after the 10 p.m. closing time.

As of Thursday, police had issued 253 citations to 92 separate individuals, and arrested one person who refused to sign his citation. No tickets were written on Oct. 13, when Police Chief James Craig told officers to hold off on the ticketing, nor on Tuesday.

That’s when a federal judge ordered a 28-hour moratorium on the citations while city officials and group lawyers attempted to settle a suit that’s now pending in federal court. The group claims the park board’s closing-time rule is unconstitutional and violates free speech rights.

Among the 92 protesters, two have been cited on nine separate days of enforcement action, police said, adding that one new person was among the 14 who were cited Wednesday night. Each ticket carries a fine of $105.

When asked if police would arrest or forcibly remove protesters who remain in the park after closing time, City Solicitor John Curp did not rule it out.

Full Article Here – http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111020/NEWS0108/111020017/Occupy-protesters-still-there-park-quiets?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE 

Oakland orders Occupy protesters to leave plaza

San Fransisco Chronicle
Oct. 20, 2011
By Demian Bulwa

Oakland officials Thursday night ordered protesters inspired by the Occupy Wall Street movement to vacate Frank Ogawa Plaza outside City Hall, where hundreds of people have lived since Oct. 10 in an elaborate tent city complete with a kitchen, a school and a medical tent.
A document titled “Notice to Vacate Frank Ogawa Plaza” was posted on the city’s website at 8 p.m. by the office of City Administrator Deanna Santana. It said Oakland was committed to allowing free speech, but also had a responsibility to protect public safety.

“We believe that after 10 days, the City can no longer uphold public health and safety,” the notice said. “In recent days, camp conditions and occupants’ behavior have significantly deteriorated, and it is no longer manageable to maintain a public health and safety plan.”


Violence cited

The document cited fire hazards, sanitation issues, a growing rat problem and graffiti. It referred to an “increasing frequency of violence, assaults, threats and intimidation” and complained that protesters had denied access to “emergency personnel to treat injured persons and to police to patrol the Plaza.”

“As a result of these serious conditions, the Administration has determined that facilitating this expression of speech is no longer viable, nor in the interest of public health and safety,” the order said.
“Peaceful daytime assembly will continue to be allowed between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. daily. No tents or overnight camping permitted.”

Protesters angry at economic inequality have sought to establish a mini-society in the plaza free of government control, and some have spoken of occupying the area for many months. They have established perimeter patrols in an effort to keep out police officers, and have not reported crimes to authorities, choosing instead to try to handle problems themselves.

Australian riot police break up ‘Occupy Melbourne’ protest; up to 20 arrested

Associated Press
Oct. 20, 2011

MELBOURNE, Australia — Riot police in Australia’s second-largest city broke up a demonstration linked to the “Occupy Wall Street” movement Friday, after a group of around 100 people protesting corporate greed defied an order to vacate a plaza.

Between 15 and 20 members of the “Occupy Melbourne” group were arrested and around 20 people, including two police officers, suffered minor injuries in the scuffle, Victoria state Police Assistant Commissioner Stephen Fontana said. Several demonstrators screamed and cried as police dragged and carried them away from the city square, where protesters had been camped out for nearly a week.


The so-called “Occupy” movement began last month in New York, where people frustrated with America’s stubbornly limp economy have been camped out on Wall Street to protest corporate greed and social inequality. Since then, thousands of people have joined similar protests across the globe, including several cities in Australia. Most of the protests have been peaceful — with the exception of a rally in Rome that turned violent last week when protesters smashed bank windows, hurled bottles and set cars on fire.

Around 100 “Occupy” activists in Melbourne had been camped out in the square without incident since Oct. 15, many spending each night there in tents. But the Melbourne City Council finally said it had had enough, and warned protesters to leave by Friday morning or face trespassing charges.

Most activists ignored the eviction order, linking arms and forming a human chain while shouting,
“This is a peaceful protest!”

Police fenced off the square and refused to let any additional protesters join the group.

Occupy Melbourne spokesman Jacob Grech said that the demonstration was peaceful, and that the protesters had a right to remain where they were.

“We’re telling them that it’s their right to protest and stay put,” Grech said. “We’re letting them know that if they are arrested, they will have legal representation and support.”

Full Article Here – http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/australian-riot-police-break-up-occupy-melbourne-protest-linked-to-wall-street-demonstration/2011/10/20/gIQAIsZ61L_story.html