Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Unknown modifier 't' in /home/content/16/9506716/html/wp-content/plugins/mobile-website-builder-for-wordpress-by-dudamobile/dudamobile.php on line 603
2010 November 21 | Activist News
Disobey

The Road to World War 3

  More »

Edward Snowden

Open Letter To Obama

July 26, 2013 President Barack Obama The White House 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20500 Re: Civil Disobedience, Edward J. Snowden, and the Constitution Dear Mr. President: You are acutely aware More »

greed3

U.S. Companies Pay Just One-Third Of The Legal Tax Rate: GAO Study

Huffington Post July 1, 2013 By Mark Gongloff Big, profitable U.S. companies paid an average federal tax rate of less than 13 percent in 2010, according to a new study — or More »

jeff olsen

Man Tried for Chalk Drawings Found Not Guilty

NBC San Diego July 1, 2013 By Christina London The man accused of vandalism for drawing with chalk outside banks has been found not guilty on all charges. A jury returned its More »

freedom-of-the-press

The Bigger Story Behind the AP Spying Scandal

Washington’s Blog/Global Research May 20, 2012 By George Washington Attack on the Press You know that the Department of Justice tapped scores of phone lines at the Associated Press. You might have More »

Daily Archives: November 21, 2010

Israel troops get suspended sentence on Gaza abuse

Reuters
November 21, 2010

An Israeli court-martial handed down suspended jail sentences on Sunday to two soldiers who forced a Palestinian boy to search for suspected booby-traps on their behalf during the Gaza Strip war, Army Radio said.

The ruling meant that the troops, who were last month found guilty of reckless endangerment and conduct unbecoming, would go free but be subject to a minimum 3-month stint in the military stockade should they commit another crime.

The two soldiers had helped seize control of a building in the Gaza City suburb of Tel Al-Hawa district on January 15, 2009, as Israel pressed a ground offensive against Hamas guerrillas.

Rounding up residents, they ordered a nine-year-old boy to check baggage for hidden explosives, the Israeli verdict said.

When the boy failed to open one bag, the soldiers pulled him back and shot at it, endangering everyone present, the verdict said. The boy was later returned to his family unharmed, and the verdict made no mention of any booby-traps being found.

Full Article Here – http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20101121/tpl-uk-palestinians-israel-courtmartial-43a8d4f.html

Eric Cantona’s call for bank protest sparks online campaign

Guardian
November 20, 2010
By Kim Willsher

As students and public sector workers across Europe prepare for a winter of protests, they have been offered advice from the archetypal football rebel Eric Cantona.

Cantona was once a famous exponent of direct action against adversaries on and off the pitch. In 1995 he was given a nine-month ban after launching a karate kick at a Crystal Palace fan who shouted racist abuse at the former Manchester United star after he was sent off. But while sympathising with the predicament of the protesters in France, the now retired Cantona is urging a more sophisticated approach to dissent.

The 44-year-old former footballer recommended a run on the cash reserves of the world’s banks during a newspaper interview that was also filmed. The interview has become a YouTube hit and has spawned a new political movement.

The regional newspaper Presse Océan in Nantes had asked Cantona about his work with the Abbé Pierre Foundation, which campaigns for housing for the destitute and for which he produced a book of photographs last year. But the discussion soon moved on to other issues, including the demonstrations in France and elsewhere against government cutbacks in the new era of austerity.


Cantona, wearing a bright red jumper, dismissed protesters who take to the streets with placards and banners as passé. Instead, he said, they should create a social and economic revolution by taking their money out of their bank.

He said: “I don’t think we can be entirely happy seeing such misery around us. Unless you live in a pod. But then there is a chance… there is something to do. Nowadays what does it mean to be on the streets? To demonstrate? You swindle yourself. Anyway, that’s not the way any more.

“We don’t pick up weapons to kill people to start the revolution. The revolution is really easy to do these days. What’s the system? The system is built on the power of the banks. So it must be destroyed through the banks.

“This means that the three million people with their placards on the streets, they go to the bank and they withdraw their money and the banks collapse. Three million, 10 million people, and the banks collapse and there is no real threat. A real revolution.

“We must go to the bank. In this case there would be a real revolution. It’s not complicated; instead of going on the streets and driving kilometres by car you simply go to the bank in your country and withdraw your money, and if there are a lot of people withdrawing their money the system collapses. No weapons, no blood, or anything like that.”

He concludes: “It’s not complicated and in this case they will listen to us in a different way. Trade unions? Sometimes we should propose ideas to them.”

Cantona’s call appeared to touch a popular chord and generated an instant response. Nearly 40,000 people have clicked on the YouTube clip, and a French-based movement – StopBanque – has taken up the campaign for a massive coordinated withdrawal of money from banks on 7 December. It is claimed that more than 14,000 people are already committed to removing deposits. The movement is also gaining increasing attention in Britain.

The trio of French Facebook users now leading the campaign have appealed to people across Europe to provoke a bank crash. “It is we who control the banks, not vice versa,” they write.

In a fuller statement on the website Bankrun2010.com, the organisers write: “Our call has been more successful than we dared think. Our action is a people’s movement… we’re not seeking to destroy anyone in particular, it’s the corrupt, criminal and moribund system that we have decided to oppose using what means we can, with determination and within the law.” The statement is signed by Géraldine Feuillien, 41, a Belgian filmmaker, and Yann Sarfati, 24, an actor and director from France.

Sarfati said he and his friends had simply wanted to pass on Cantona’s video clip, but had found themselves caught up in a global “citizens’ movement”.

“We were surprised by the interest and the buzz it created on the internet. It has really spread; there are now Facebook events in Italy, Romania, Bulgaria and even Korea,” Sarfati said.

Full Article Here – http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/20/eric-cantona-bank-protest-campaign

Google agrees to delete personal data collected by its Street View cars in victory for privacy campaigners

Daily Mail

November 20, 2010
Google will delete all personal data its Street View cars collected from unsecured wi-fi networks, it was revealed yesterday.
 Google sparked an international outcry last month after it admitted collecting information from unsecured wireless networks as its vehicles roamed residential streets.
The company was accused of unlawfully harvesting data including emails, passwords and website addresses during the creation of its Street View maps.
It will also require its engineers to maintain a privacy design document for every new project before it is launched.

The decision is a victory for privacy campaigners furious that Google had refused to back down over claims that it had unlawfully accessed private data, albeit accidentally.

Mr Graham said: ‘I am very pleased to have a firm commitment from Google to work with my office to improve its handling of personal information.
‘We don’t want another breach like the collection of payload data by Google Street View vehicles to occur again.
‘It is a significant achievement to have an undertaking from a major multinational corporation like Google Inc that extends to its global policies and not just its UK activities.
‘We will be keeping a close watch on the progress Google makes and will follow up with an extensive audit.
‘Meanwhile, I welcome the fact that the wifi payload data that should never have been collected in the first place can, at last, be deleted.’
Alan Eustace, Google’s senior vice president, signed an undertaking on behalf of Google Inc to put in place improved training measures on security awareness and data protection issues for all employees, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) said.
The company will also require its engineers to maintain a privacy design document for every new project before it is launched and the personal data collected in the UK will be deleted.
The ICO will also conduct a full audit of Google’s internal privacy structure, privacy training programmes and its system of privacy reviews for new products within nine months.

Google agrees to delete personal data collected by its Street View cars in victory for privacy campaigners Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1331257/Google-delete-Street-View-personal-data-victory-privacy-campaigners.html#ixzz15tSvZ800

Daily Mail
November 20, 2010

Google will delete all personal data its Street View cars collected from unsecured wi-fi networks, it was revealed yesterday.

Google sparked an international outcry last month after it admitted collecting information from unsecured wireless networks as its vehicles roamed residential streets.

The company was accused of unlawfully harvesting data including emails, passwords and website addresses during the creation of its Street View maps.

It will also require its engineers to maintain a privacy design document for every new project before it is launched.

The decision is a victory for privacy campaigners furious that Google had refused to back down over claims that it had unlawfully accessed private data, albeit accidentally.

Mr Graham said: ‘I am very pleased to have a firm commitment from Google to work with my office to improve its handling of personal information.

‘We don’t want another breach like the collection of payload data by Google Street View vehicles to occur again.

‘It is a significant achievement to have an undertaking from a major multinational corporation like Google Inc that extends to its global policies and not just its UK activities.

‘We will be keeping a close watch on the progress Google makes and will follow up with an extensive audit.

‘Meanwhile, I welcome the fact that the wifi payload data that should never have been collected in the first place can, at last, be deleted.’

Alan Eustace, Google’s senior vice president, signed an undertaking on behalf of Google Inc to put in place improved training measures on security awareness and data protection issues for all employees, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) said.

The company will also require its engineers to maintain a privacy design document for every new project before it is launched and the personal data collected in the UK will be deleted.

The ICO will also conduct a full audit of Google’s internal privacy structure, privacy training programmes and its system of privacy reviews for new products within nine months.
 

Minimum wage is worth less than in 1968

Life INC. 
November 20, 2010
By Allison Linn

If you’re one of the several million Americans earning minimum wage, here’s a sobering fact: Your grandpa had more spending power earning minimum wage four decades ago.

Adjusted for inflation, the minimum wage was worth $8.54 per hour in 1968, according to calculations by the Economic Policy Institute. The current minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.

The value of the minimum wage has risen in the last few years, following a three-year government effort to boost the lowest allowable hourly wage in the United States. The final stage, which took effect in July of 2009, brought the minimum wage up nearly 11 percent to its current rate.

In addition, some states have mandated that minimum wage be higher than the national rate.

Still, the data from EPI show that the value of minimum wage has not, in the long-term, kept up with rising inflation, which boosts what things cost and lowers the value of money. (For more fun with inflation, check out this inflation calculator from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.)

Full Article Here – http://lifeinc.todayshow.com/_news/2010/11/19/5495013-good-graph-friday-minimum-wage-is-worth-less-than-in-1968?gt1=43001

Marine whistleblower Franz Gayl: Security clearance removal is retaliation

Washington Post
November 20, 2010
By R. Jeffrey Smith

Franz Gayl made a name for himself a few years ago as a Marine Corps whistleblower, a civilian scientist who helped push the Pentagon to shift its Iraqi weapons strategy. Senators called him a hero for disclosures that helped get heavily armored vehicles known as MRAPs to the battlefield.

But a few weeks ago, Gayl found himself booted from a room where confidential materials are handled and stripped of his security clearance. His superiors accused him of “a disregard for regulations, a pattern of poor judgment and intentional misconduct” – behavior that they said “indicates you are unreliable and untrustworthy.”

Gayl’s alleged offense – described in official documents – was inserting a USB device into a computer containing classified information twice in 2008 and then failing to turn over the device to a supervisor. They first raised this concern in March, and no security leaks have been alleged.

Gayl and some former colleagues say that these charges were trumped up, the culmination of a three-year pattern of retaliation by the Corps’ leadership for the embarrassment that he caused and his continued efforts to hold officials accountable for ignoring an urgent request for help by soldiers under fire.


His offense, Gayl says, is continuing to say “that Marines did not take care of Marines in harm’s way,” a sacrilege inside a service that prides itself on protecting individual soldiers.

Last week, his confrontation accelerated. The Corps notified him that without proper clearances, he no longer qualified to serve as a science adviser in its plans and policy branch. “I am proposing to suspend you indefinitely from pay and from your position,” wrote Col. James D. Gass, his branch chief.

But the proposed suspension was lifted by Gass hours after a reporter asked questions about Gayl’s case, e-mails show. A Marine spokesman, Maj. Carl Redding Jr., cited privacy protections in explaining why he could not address the allegations against Gayl. But he said, “Whatever change you may be aware of has nothing to do with your inquiry.”

Full Article Here – http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/19/AR2010111903475.html?wprss=rss_nation

26 People Arrested and Held in County Jail on Mulitple Charges

School of the Americas Watch
November 20, 2010
By Nico Udu-gama   

Thousands Converge at the gates of Fort Benning for 20th Anniversary of November Vigil to Close the SOA

Nonviolent civil disobedience action followed by indiscriminate arrests and targeting of journalists. Among those arrested by Columbus aolice were three journalists, including a TV news crew from RT America and unrelated bystanders.

Thousands of human rights activists, torture survivors, veterans, faith-based communities, union workers, students, musicians and others from across the Americas are gathered today at the gates of the U.S. military base Fort Benning to call for the closure of the School of the Americas (renamed Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation).

Following the SOA Watch rally, human rights activists brought their nonviolent witness to close the SOA into the street leading onto the military base. The activists briefly shut down the road with a large sign that said, “Stop: This is the End of the Road for the SOA.” Their action is part of a longstanding tradition of creative civil disobedience to call attention to the atrocities committed by graduates of the School of the Americas. 10-12 people were arrested, and others charged, including the 90-year old Jesuit priest Bill Brennan, and ordained Catholic priest Janice Sevre-Duszynska.

Two human rights activists crossed onto Fort Benning through the highway entrance. They have been charged with federal trespass and face up to six months in federal prison and a fine up to $5,000.

Full Article Here – http://www.soaw.org/